Floating body external acceleration behavior

Hello all,

Hope all is well. Lately I have been working on modeling floating objects, I have observed something and I would really appreciate your input on this.

I started with the falling sphere example, specifically ....\examples\main\11_Floating, in that example the gravitational acceleration g=-9.81, when I set it to zero, g=0 and instead use an external file to define a constant acceleration of -9.81m/s^2, I get different results. The option "global gravity" does not seem to affect the solution.

I then tried spheres of different radius, and different problem configurations as well such as a body fully submerged in water etc. It always seem to be the case.

How can I use an external file which acts as a global acceleration both on fluid and solid bodies?

Regards

Comments

• Can we define both fluid and solid mk 's when using acceleration input?

• You can impose external acceleration to fluid volumes and you can also impose external acceleration to floating objects.

Regards

Alex

• You can even do something as this, see CaseTemplate.xml

• Thank you for your replies, I have tried something like what's shown below with or without gravity definition (constant gravity=0,0,0).

<accinput mkfluid="0">
              <acccentre x="0.0027" y="0.004" z="0.004" comment="Center of acceleration" units_comment="metres (m)" />
              <globalgravity value="0" comment="Global gravity enabled (1) or disabled (0)" />
              <acctimesfile value="CaseForcesData.csv" comment="File with linear and angular acceleration data" />
            </accinput>
    			  <accinput mkbound="51">
              <acccentre x="0.0027" y="0.004" z="0.004" comment="Center of acceleration" units_comment="metres (m)" />
              <globalgravity value="0" comment="Global gravity enabled (1) or disabled (0)" />
              <acctimesfile value="CaseForcesData.csv" comment="File with linear and angular acceleration data" />
            </accinput>
          </accinputs>

However, as I said even if the acceleration is constant in the external file (so that it would let's say act like g=0,0,-9.81 on both the fluid and floating body), it does not give me the expected results.

• Note that if you define initial gravity definition to 0, then you have to impose the value of cte B (equation of state), which defines the compressibility.

• Thank you @Alex!

The simulation proceeds without throwing error even if I don't define cte B, I actually haven't tried explicitly defining B when initial gravity is 0.

I will try a series of test cases and share my updates.