Any way to evaluate the forces due to Chrono elements ?

Hi,

I have a two bodies - one floating and the other not in contact with water. Both of these are connected by springs.

When I use the computeforces for the body not in contact with the water, it does not give me any value. I understand that this is because the forces are evaluated through water pressure integration.

So, I am wondering if there is any way I can get the forces acting due the springs and the friction force acting on the second body?

Additionally, would it be possible for me to get the reaction forces acting on the floating body due to the second body in contact with it?

Comments

• @Alex

@Asalih3d

If you could offer any suggestions in this regard, it would be really helpful

• To get output info related with this you have to use:  

<savedata value="#TimeOut" comment="Saves CSV with data exchange for each time interval (0=all steps)" />

ChronoExchange_mkbound_XX. Information exchanged between Chrono and DPSH. You have to use:

InputFace [X,Y,Z]: Linear acceleration applied from DSPH to the object in Chrono. (DSPH ---> Chrono)

InputFomegaAce [X,Y,Z]: Angular acceleration applied from DSPH to the object in Chrono.  (DSPH ---> Chrono)

Both ChronoBody_forces and ChronoLink_forces are the forces applied by Chrono to each object at each time step (FLUID + F. EXTERNAL + COLLISIONS).

ChronoBody_forces: Includes the accumulated forces applied to the object in Chrono 

AcumulatedForce [X,Y,Z]: Linear forces

AcumulatedTorque [X,Y,Z]: Angular forces or torques

-ChronoLink_forces: Reaction forces of the links(Links: LinkSpring, LinkPulley....).

ReactForce [X,Y,Z]: Linear forces of reaction

ReactTorqe [X,Y,Z]: Angular forces or torsional

• Thank you Alex for the very detailed answer! Out of curiosity, is there an option to export motions and rotations of each link?

Kind regards

• Hi Alex,

Thank you for your answer. This is definitely very helpful.

From the description, it looks like you have to add this in the Def file before starting a simulation. If I have an already completed simulation, is there no way for me to get this information at all?

I have a simulation that took two days to complete. So, it would be nice to know if I can salvage this or have to run it afresh

• Hi Alex!

Can you verify whether or not the force and moments in x,y and z follow the constraint through the simulation or if it is based on the initial position?

I understand that the orientation matches the global coordinate system. My question is if the values follow the translation / rotation of the hinges.

Kind regards