AWAS

Dear developers and users,

I am fairly new with DualSPHysics and I am trying to understand the reasoning of using certain values for AWAS. Does:

1) startawas value signify the start of wave simulation or the time on which the wave starts to reflect?

2) swl value meaning the depth of the water?

3) gaugey value defining as the position in Y to measure the water

4) gaugezmin and gaugezmax value are min and max positions in Z to measure the water (within the boundaries of the fluid)

But I still do not understand the definitions of gaugex valueh, gaugedp, limitace value and the correction (coefstroke, coefperiod and powerfunc) although I tried reading the XMLguide file.

Could anyone please enlighten me on this. Thank you.

Comments

• More information can be found on page 109 of "XML_GUIDE_v5.0.pdf" (in DualSPHysics_v5.0\doc\guides)

Regards

• Thank you @Alex.

In regards to AWAS as well, I tried simulating a case but I have encountered a problem. The reflected waves and the incoming waves seems to combine with each other. Hence forming what seems to be waves of greater heights. I am attaching few snippets of the simulation. I am quite unsure where I went wrong. Could anyone assist me in solving this. Thank you.

• edited November 2021

AWAS is a helpful tool in reducing wave resonance etc. but it is often not a complete solution in removing all reflection. Therefore some other things you should test it increasing the domain size i.e. greater distance between piston and stair case.

Using the same parameters as before you should see that the reflection becomes less hopefully. One could then ask; "why use AWAS at all if I still have to use a larger domain?"

My understanding is that if you did not use AWAS you would need an "extremely large" domain, while using AWAS you can get away with a "large" domain. I might be wrong, so I am also curious about what @Alex is going to comment, but just wanted to share my personal experience mean while.

KInd regards

• You wrote: "The reflected waves and the incoming waves seems to combine with each other"

Sure, you will always have in a numerical, physical and real flume reflected waves that combine with incident waves...

You can only:

• reduce reflection at the end of your tank... using sponge layers of dissipative slope
    • reduce re-reflection when reflected waves hit back the "physical" piston using AWAS

Regards

• Thank you @Asalih3d and @Alex for assisting me.