Third-party particle generator

Hi Alex and team

May I know whether external particle generator such as Altair HyperMesh be used to create the particle data for DualSPHysics?

Thanks.

Comments

• If you know how to modify the initial bi4 file made by GenGase, then I suppose you could. There is no easy way of achieving this in the current version of DualSPHysics though. I am my self interested in this topic too.

Kind regards

• I would like to add myself to support this request. I think the bi4 input files should be made accessible so at least one could write a wrapper that generates bi4 input files from external particle generators.

• That information is accesible of course... since we use open-source code and DualSPHysics solver needs to load and write bi4 files. You can navigate thoruh the source files or you can also just go through DualSPHysics_v5.0\src_extra\ToVTK_v5

Regards

• @jmdalonso can you remind us the source files and functions we can check in the code?

• Hi, thanks for the suggestion.

Is there a documentation on the bi4 file format? And can you advice me on how to view the content of these files? I think this would help tremendously.

I am no programmer so it is difficult for me to get this information by investigating any code.

• You can use HexEd.it online: https://hexed.it/. Here you can after some trial and error (start with a case with 10 or 100 particles in total) understand the layout of the bi4 file.

There is as far as I know not documentation other than what Alex mentioned to you in the src_extra folder.

If you want some "external documentation", I was part of a Github repos which would load bi4 files into Julia:

https://github.com/AhmedSalih3d/PostSPH.jl

I unfortunately do not have time to support with details now or near future. You can see the main code here:

https://github.com/AhmedSalih3d/PostSPH.jl/blob/master/src/PostSPH.jl

And there is also an example folder, so if you are familiar with Julia, you should be really happy right now - if not, I am sorry :-)

NOTE: that this does not have incorporated writing a bi4 file, but would be the obvious next step. If there is some more documentation on how to do it, I think it would be possible to program it.

Kind regards

• Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't know julia :(

I've proceeded with the first link (thanks for this)! As far as I understand it depicts a binary file in hex format (or whatever this is), It does not reveal the content in a form that I am capable to read. I will have to check if it would be possible to write a py script etc. that reads the content in binary format and writes it back into something understandable in order to understand the file format of the case.bi4 file. I'll come back if I find a solution.

• I have the same confusion and hope to get a more detailed data structure of Bi4 files.I found the structure of JBinaryData in TOVTK, but it doesn't seem to have the same structure as bi4.