visualSHysics foamsimulator

Hi to everybody.

I' tryng to use Freecad Pre19 to make some first analysis, and I should like to render results with visualSHysics in Blender.

Anything seams to work well, except FoamSimulator: it fails saying that .xml file isn't of the right release.

Because Freecad add-on release is v4 (or v4.4, I don't know exactly) , is this the problem?

Many thanks

Piero

Comments

• Hi Piero,

could you please share a screenshot of the error message?

Regards!

• Thank you for your fast replay.

Here is the copy of command shell (it was made in Ubuntu 18.04, using Blender 2.91):

I tried two times to start the Run Foam Simulation command, but I don't know why the error message was duplicated for each execution attempt.

Again, I'm attaching the starting Float2_def.xml file, made using Freecad 0.19 pre.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-pici->blender

Read prefs: /home/pici/.config/blender/2.91/config/userpref.blend

found bundled python: /snap/blender/65/2.91/python

Register

Read blend: /home/pici/FreeCAD_test/Float2/Float2.blend

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/home/pici/.config/blender/2.91/scripts/addons/VisualSPHysics.py", line 500, in execute

showPopup("Error: the XML cannot be loaded. Make sure to choose the XML file generated by the gencase tool.", "Error", "ERROR")

File "/home/pici/.config/blender/2.91/scripts/addons/VisualSPHysics.py", line 194, in showPopup  bpy.context.window_manager.popup_menu(draw, title = title, icon = icon)

File "/snap/blender/65/2.91/scripts/modules/bpy_types.py", line 159, in popup_menu  draw_func(popup, bpy.context)

File "/home/pici/.config/blender/2.91/scripts/addons/VisualSPHysics.py", line 193, in draw  self.layout.label(text)

TypeError: UILayout.label(): required parameter "text" to be a keyword argument!

Errore: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/home/pici/.config/blender/2.91/scripts/addons/VisualSPHysics.py", line 500, in execute

showPopup("Error: the XML cannot be loaded. Make sure to choose the XML file generated by the gencase tool.", "Error", "ERROR")

File "/home/pici/.config/blender/2.91/scripts/addons/VisualSPHysics.py", line 194, in showPopup

bpy.context.window_manager.popup_menu(draw, title = title, icon = icon)

File "/snap/blender/65/2.91/scripts/modules/bpy_types.py", line 159, in popup_menu

draw_func(popup, bpy.context)

File "/home/pici/.config/blender/2.91/scripts/addons/VisualSPHysics.py", line 193, in draw

self.layout.label(text)

TypeError: UILayout.label(): required parameter "text" to be a keyword argument!

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/home/pici/.config/blender/2.91/scripts/addons/VisualSPHysics.py", line 194, in showPopup

File "/snap/blender/65/2.91/scripts/modules/bpy_types.py", line 159, in popup_menu

File "/home/pici/.config/blender/2.91/scripts/addons/VisualSPHysics.py", line 193, in draw

self.layout.label(text)

Errore: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):

self.layout.label(text)

• Hi Piero, I think that the problem is that you are using the Float2_Def.xml file instead of the Float2.xml file generated by the gencase tool. The second one has some calculated constants needed for the foam simulation.

• Hi to everybody,

I tried again in these days, but th answer is always the same (loot at the attache picture).

This time I'm sure that I used the right .xml file, calculated by Gencase rev. 5.03.

Perhaps the difficulty is created because I built the case in Freecad:

1) I built the case in Freecad and I used Gencase and run the case by Freecad Interface

2) I used an external script to calcolate all post-processing files

3) finally I went to Blender to load al needed files

But it still doesn't work !!! 😭

Thank you again

• @Orlando may help here

• Hi Alex,

sorry, but I don't understand: what could I do? can I write directly to Orlando?

Many thanks

Piero

• I mention orlando here so he should receive notification about this message...

Other option is to contact him directly if you want: orlando@uvigo.es

Regards

• edited May 2021

Hi to all.

Perhaps I found the problem: the file Float2_Def.xml  generated by Freecad interface begins with a comment line, like this:

<!-- Case name: Float2 -->

and this first row is copied to the file Float2.xml created Float2_out directory: to perform a correct foam calculation is enough to delete this first row saving the file again.

And this is all.

Just a suggestion: is it possible to avoid to write this first row during GenCase phase in Freecad?

Many thanks to everybody. Regards

p.s. How is possible to write "SOLVED" near to the title?

• Nice work @pier_1251! I had given up on the foam simulator tool, since I couldn't get it to work

I just wonder what my issue might have been then, since I am not using FreeCAD for generating the models. Perhaps I will look into my case again some time.

Also I do not think it is possible to write "SOLVED" near the title as of now, but perhaps could be a nice addition to the forum @Alex ?

Kind regards