Why is my density initialization like this?

Hello!

At time step zero, this is my density

This is quite confusing, since we set it as equal to 1000 initially?

Kind regards

Comments

• edited November 2020

I think that they initialise the fluid particle with a hydrostatic profile. If I may add a couple of questions:

• Is the hydrostatic profile of an incompressible fluid (P=density x gravity x depth) or that a compressible flow (slightly more complicated but easy to compute)?
    • How does the code determine where the free surface is?

Thanks

• If they used a hydrostatic profile, I am suspicious over why it would not take into account the "white cutout" which is basically a boundary rectangle. I see after a few time steps it is "fixed" but it produces a small density "explosion" which is unphysical and would be nice if it was not there at all.

For your second question, I don't think the code ever estimates the position of the free-surface since no special treatment has to be provided for the free-surface in SPH. Would love to hear if I am wrong regarding this.

Kind regards

• Your image might also suggest that the code does know where the free surface is and increases the density moving down the water column. And it starts again after having gone across the solid rectangle. This is the close-source GenCase if I am not mistaken. The Developers are in the best position to clarify all the questions above, indeed.

• edited November 2020

That is a good point!

It is probably due to as you say that the density and pressure are linked, which means a fluid further down has to have a higher density initially. My understanding was that this step would be done after all particles have been drawn, but it seems like this is done in steps..

In my case it does not have a big significance, since the water depth is fairly small, but for any case where deep water is simulated, this could be a potential issue - you would have to let the simulation run without anything happening for a few time steps for it to normalize properly.

Perhaps developers could explain how it exactly is

Kind regards

• The particles are initially created and a density gradient by considering the hydrostatic pressure due to the water column is assigned to the particles at time=0s. Density of free-surface particles with the reference density. Note that this density or pressure gradient is computed using the maximum water column or maximum depth and it can be also adjusted defining cte B (of equation of state) by the user in the XML if needed.

• edited November 2020

@Alex Is the hydrostatic profile that of an incompressible fluid or of a weakly compressible fluid? Thanks for clarifying this

• Thanks for your comment @Alex !

Still, I suppose that my initial picture shows that no the same height is used everywhere. Else there would not be a difference in density initialization below the plate and at the same fluid height other places.

Kind regards