Suggestions for Articles w.r.t. Wave Theory

Hello!

I am working on a project, where I have to use wave theory - here I see that DualSPHysics have the capabilities to simulate these kind of things. I have already gone through SWASH, but it seems a bit complicated to setup, so now I am looking into the other options in DualSPHysics, i.e. pistons, flaps, relaxation zones, and I wondered if anybody is already into this topic and have found some good papers breaking down the theory and maybe even setup in DualSPHysics?

Note, I am starting from scratch, so terms like, "regular/irregular", "1st order/2nd order" is still new to me, so if some knows a good resource for the basics of wave theory, feel free to let me know as well.

Kind regards

Comments

• Altomare C, Domínguez JM, Crespo AJC, González-Cao J, Suzuki T, Gómez-Gesteira M, Troch P. 2017. Long-crested wave generation and absorption for SPH-based DualSPHysics model. Coastal Engineering, 127: 37-54 doi: 10.1016/j.coastaleng.2017.06.004.

• Thank you very much @Alex.

I have been reading this paper today, and it is really nice how it goes through the different topics.

For anyone else interested in this topic I have found that the best starting point is to start at:

https://github.com/DualSPHysics/DualSPHysics/wiki/3.-SPH-formulation#39-wave-generation

Reading through Chapter 3.9, one gets a good understanding of the possibilities in DualSPHysics. One will find mentioned a paper by Biesel 1951, but this is in french, so not much to gain for non-french speakers unfortunately. Also Madsens 1971 paper is available online, but I don't have access to it, so can't comment on it too much.

After reading through the wiki one will understand there are three basic approaches:

• SWASH
    • Wave Makers (piston, flaps)
    • Relaxation Zone

For SWASH and Relaxation Zone I recommend respectively:

"Hybridization of the Wave Propagation Model SWASH and the Meshfree Particle Method SPH for Real Coastal Applications", Altomare et. al. 2015

"Improved relaxation zone method in SPH-based model for coastal engineering applications", Altomare et. al. 2018

Also inside of DualSPHysics under doc - guides - others, one will find "WaveCoupling..", which is also a very nice graphical overview of the different possibilities.

Hope this might help people in the future.

Kind regards