Can anyone explain "ToVTK4" and what is happening there?

Hey guys, so looking through the wiki on Github I see:

"Example code “ToVtk”

The release includes not only the source files of DualSPHysics v4.4 but also the source files of a code named “ToVtk”. This code is provided to show how to load and interpret particle data, how to read .bi4 files and how to create .vtk or .csv files."

https://github.com/DualSPHysics/DualSPHysics/wiki/13.-How-to-modify-DualSPHysics-for-your-application

So this is basically what I want, being able to upload my own particle distribution. When I look at the example I just don't understand how it is done? So first we have a .bat file called "run_win64.bat", which has the following code:

@echo off

cls

@set dirout=out

if exist %dirout% del /Q %dirout%\*.*

if not exist %dirout% mkdir %dirout%

ToVTK4_win64.exe -dirin Piston2D -filexml Piston2D/Piston2D.xml -savevtk %dirout%/parts -savecsv %dirout%/data

So we are using the .exe, we move into the directory, "Piston2D" and load the xml file and this is where I get confused, since I cannot find in the xml file how to upload my own particle distribution?

Have I misunderstood the functionality completely - I thought it was possible to upload my own particle discretization?

Kind regards

Comments

• I presume that the syntax they use for launching this tool is consistent with the one of PartVTK4. If that is true, have a look at the help page of it in <sphroot>/doc/help/PartVTK4_Help.out. There you find the explanation of the parts missing. The script you show suggests that you have to call this tool on a simulation that you have already run.

Indeed I could not find a specific help page for the ToVtk tool. If there is none, it could be a suggestion to add it. Corrections welcome.

• Okay I see, if that is the case, then it is not possible to upload our own particles yet :-) Good to know, thanks