<velwave> a solitary wave defined by depth and amplitude

edited December 2013 in Old versions
Can someone help me in the definition of the solitary wave?
I need to know how to write the parameters for command (such as depth and amplitude or any other like the direction, if needed), since there is any example in the gencase guide.
Thanks

Comments

• Can someone help me in the definition of the solitary wave?
    I need to know how to write the parameters for command (such as depth and amplitude or any other like the direction, if needed), since there is any example in the gencase guide.
    Thanks
  • Hi,

Can you be a bit more specific on what exactly you want to do? (except the obvious of course)

Can you use a paddle to generate your wave, maybe? (see gencase manual)

thanks,
    George

• I'm sorry maybe my question was too general I try to explain better:

I would like to replicate the second-order Stokes waves in deep water, and I'm using the wave generator but I encountered a problem of damping of the amplitude of waves generated, I tried to change many parameters without good results, you have some advice to avoid damping or more in generally i can create waves with constant amplitude in space?

The other question is just on the syntax for writing a command, p. 34 of gencase guides is the command for imposed at fluid particles a solitary wave defined but amplitude and depth but I can't figure out how to write the command, can you give me an example?

thank you very much for your time

Riccardo
  • Hi Riccardo,

I suggest you to check the discussion with Label "Reduce Damping" in the forum. They have some talk about wave damping. One way though not perfect can maintain the amplitude by rising smoothing length. I test the idea in a simple small amplitude case. It works while particle distribution is bad around fluid boundary. I hope it is helpful.

Sukun
  • Thank You very much for this advice but unfortunately the my problem isen't resolved, i try to change a lot of parameter.

Riccardo
  • The wave decay is a problem that can appear using SPH when your domain length is higher than 3 times the wavelength.

SPH is not fully dedicated to generate/propagate waves, there are many models that can do that. SPH is suitable to propagate waves very close to the coast to study its interaction with coastal structures.

Two possible solutions are implementing a formulation based on the Riemann Solver solutions or you can increase your kernel domain by increasing the coefficient used to compute h. With higher values of h, the wave decay is reduced with the current code.

Alex