Sinusoidal piston movement - particle boundary out> type:Moving cause:Position

edited January 2017 in DualSPHysics_v4.0
Hi,

I have been working on creating a wave pool with piston forcing from the bottom of the pool. I have had success with varying speeds and patterns of linear movement, but I have encountered some problems with sinusoidal movements. I am wanting a sinusoidal movement with an amplitude of 1, a frequency of 0.2635 and a phase of 0, but when I run the model I constantly get the error:

particle boundary out> type:Moving cause:Position

I have done a few tests. Firstly I have checked the movement was what I wanted by making the piston move in the x-direction rather than the z, which does not come into contact with any water particles. This model run finished, with a smooth, slow moving sinusoid as I wanted. This sort of slow movement I cannot imagine could possibly displace any particle out of my wave pool, hence my confusion at the error message when it was run in the z-direction.

Secondly, I checked the highest frequency I could run without errors, this time with the piston moving in the desired z-direction. The result was 0.01, which is so slow it barely displaces the surface of the water. Even increasing the frequency to 0.05 gives me the error, despite this also being a very slow movement.

Basically the error is telling me that particles are leaving my domain, but I do not understand how they can with the slow, smooth movements I'm applying when I have much stronger linear movements running without error. I have sent an email in with the files required to run the model plus the animations of my two tests. Any help with this issue would be much appreciated!

Rhys

Comments

• your piston hit the boundary of the pool. try to move your piston away from the pool, so piston could stroke freely to generate your wave.
    to find out how far you should move your piston check the Stroke value in wavepaddle.csv (assuming you're using wavepaddles function).

regards