Problem with moving boundary

edited May 2016 in DualSPHysics_v4.0
Hi,
I am trying to model a simple test case: 2D lid driven cavity flow with no gravity.
The boundary on top is modeled as a moving boundary with constant velocity, while there is a periodic open boundary on the x-axis. For more details there is a picture of the first simulations step:
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4344/7rjstx5k_png.htm

Now there is a problem. The interaction between the moving boundary an the fluid doesn't work very well. In the beginning the fluid starts to get a velocity, but as the simulation keeps going a gap is formed between boundary and fluid. As a result there is no interaction in velocity between boundary and fluid anymore:
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4344/d7qnbjnu_png.htm

I tried to fix this behavior with the different options:
-reduce dp
-viscosity treatment (artificial or laminar); different values
-increase smoothing length
-shifting options

Nothing helped so far... Are there any options left to influence the interaction between a moving wall and a fluid ?

Is there a other way to assign a given velocity to a boundary?
Is there an option/keyword in xml which allows to assign a velocity to a boundary particle, but the boundary particle stays in the same place? Or is this something which requires a change to the code?

Regards,
fko

Comments

• The proper simulation of 2D lid driven cavity flow with DualSPHysics will need changes in the code to assign velocity to boundary particles while these are going to stay at the same position.

However in your case you may be creating a very large tank to move the top part... Please can you send to us your XML (dualsphysics@gmail.com) and we will take a look to find a better solution to reduce that strange gap?

Regards
  • Hi community,

does anybody have a solution for this problem yet? I just ran into exactly the same situation as Fkornmei.

Thank you and best regards