GenCase exe not creating GUI

edited January 2016 in Old versions
Hi all, I have recently started working with DualSPHysics and read about using GenCase to edit some of the pre-processing. However, when i try and open the .exe file from the "EXECS" folder it simply opens a cmd window and then disappears. The same happens with all of the exe files in this folder, but, i have managed to get some output data from running the batch files in the "RUN_DIRECTORY".

I have tried running as administrator but this makes no difference, my system is 64bit windows 10. Has anyone else come across this, or solved this issue? Please excuse me if i am committing the simplest of errors!

Kind Regards,
Tom

Comments

• Hello Tom,

GenCase is a separate application to the DualSPHysics Pre-processing Interface (DPI)

You may notice within the download links that DPI is available separately from the main DualSPHysics package. In fact what it does is produce the input XML file that GenCase reads and uses to produce the input binary files that feed into the DualSPHysics solver.

In short, the bahaviour you are seeing is entirely normal, GenCase is a command line driven application (if you were to open a command prompt and execute GenCase.exe yourself rather than double click it you would see more useful output, it's just Windows closes automatically opened command prompt windows one an application has exited, whether it output interesting things to the console or not).

by all means, please download DPI and try it for yourself, it relies on a working Java implementation and comes with documentation. However, it should be said that DPI is becoming a bit out dated now, as with all open-source software projects, developers (me in this case) have a habit of moving on and then struggling to find the time to keep their previous projects up to date. DPI is a good case in point, when DualSPHysics 4.0 is released soon, I suspect DPI will become even more outdated! Saying that, it is still a good starting point for many to create a basic GenCase XML input that they can then manually manipulate according to the GenCase documentation to fit any new features that have been added/changed since DPI was released.

Hope that helps!
  • Thanks for the detailed reply, that has certainly helped aid my understanding on what was going wrong! I saw a picture of a GUI somewhere on the internet and i wrongly guessed that was GenCase, maybe it is DPI, i shall endeavour to find out!

Again, thanks for your insight!
  • edited October 2016
    ok I can execute GENCASE through command prompt windows.. but what will I do with this? how will I input an .xml to GenCasee through command prompt window?

Because what I get is this: https://s12.postimg.org/mj9e37r9p/image.png

and I dont know what it means and what to do with this information. All i want is entering a random .xml and getting proper outputs with GENCASE???
  • You have to read first the Users Guide and follow the examples of RUN_DIRECTORY.
  • Thanks well I want to create and use my own geometry.. That is my problem...
  • I think I have found it :) it is not in the documentation.. my problem was simply using dos.. I am younger than knowing that as a windows generation :) :D
  • How will I create a geometry.. ok now I have CaseTemplate.xml and for trial i try to run that template in Gencase but i still cannot
  • What is DPI? is that the guı for .XML?
    or what is it.. I would like to download it

thanks..
  • Next June we will release a new INTERFACE that will integrate pre-processing, processing and post-processing in the same tool

Regards