No GPU calculation

edited December 2015 in Old versions
Hey guys,

i am new to DualSPhysics and wanted to try out the examples. I started with the Dambreak on CPU and it worked as expected. The batch-file for the GPU pauses after the Gencase. The batch-files are ready to use, correct? I even tried to use the "dualphysics -gpu[:0]/ -gpu[:1] and -gpu[:16-digit-hex-code-GPUID]" as written in the manual. I hope you can help me

System:
Laptop with gt645m
CUDA 5.5
Win10

Comments

• According to the FAQ, there is no need to install CUDA if I don't want to compile code. Do I have to blame Win10 for the problem?
  • In my case, I had a lot more success making my own .bat files.
  • To execute the simulation on GPU, there is no need to install CUDA or nvcc compiler. HOWEVER you have to update the driver of your GPU first.
    Try this and report any news, please.

Regards
  • it looks like Win10 is the problem. I installed Win8 as second OS and everything works fine. Same with Win7. I think they changed something in Win10 so the compilation with vs2010 won't work any longer.
    Thanks for the help
  • I've had laptops with dual video cards (onboard/offboard) in which the GPU would only be used if the system deemed necessary (to save battery life). This was very annoying as it wouldn't necessary work as advertised. I don't think it's very likely this is what is happening to you because the DualSphysics is much specific to point to the device, but there is a chance.
    All my pre-made test cases work for me right "out of the box".