DP and density

edited August 2015 in Old versions
Hi, I have a question concerning the density of a floating object. How does the relative weight of the floating object compare to the number of particles in the simulation. I ask because I ran the CASEFLOATING example with the block a block of relative weight 1.2 and got two different solutions for dp=.15 and dp=.3. When the dp=.15 the block sank more than in the dp=.3 simulation. Are there other parameters that need to be changed along with dp to get physically accurate results (artificial viscosity, speed of sound, density correction, etc.)?

Comments

• You can also indicate the mass and density of the object.
    Different resolution can lead to different behaviour.
    Note that, by default, the mass of the object M is computed using density or relativeweight and then the mass of each particle of the object is computed as m=M/Nfloat so depending on the resolution you can get different accuracy. To avoid that you should use high resolution and also impose the value M.

Regards
  • Ok, that makes sense. How do you set the mass of the object?
  • edited August 2015
    You can check that in "CaseTemplate.xml"
    massbody value="1300"
  • Hello, I am also having issues with this. I have edited a floating object in an example of mine. I specified a massbody value of 1000, but when I tried to solve it gave me an error that rhopbody must be designated as well. This confuses me because if I've already specified a volume and a mass, why does it need density? Also are the units for mass in kg?
  • edited August 2015
    No worries, in that case you have to specify also rhopbody, but once massbody is given then that value will be used for the rest of computations:

*floatings*
    *floating mkbound="51" rhopbody="700" *
    *massbody value="1300" /*
    */floating*
    */floatings*
  • edited September 2015
    Hello, I am still getting unphysical results. I have a block of 2x2x2 dimensions floating in water. If I set the rhopbody to 500, it should float so that half of the block is below the water and half is above. However, only about a fourth of the block is beneath the surface. I have also tried defining mass body to be 3200 and the same error occurs. Am I doing something wrong?
  • What resolusition are you using?
    You can also send to us your XML file to check it.

Regards
  • Hi,

I notice that we can also insert moment of inertia of the floating body.

For a 3d long floating object, is that moment of inertia actually define/calculating the transverse BM and longitudinal BM for its stability?

regards
  • I ran my simulation with a dp of .15. Where would be the best place to send the XML file? Copy and paste here or send to an email of some sort?
    Thank you for your help