modifying the code

edited August 2015 in Old versions
Hi
In the EXECS folder, there are .exe files such as: DualSPHysics_win64, GenCase_win64 , ...
As we know, the .exe files can not be modified. They can be ONLY executed.
My question is:
How can we view their code and modify them?

(For the Sphysics code, there exists NO .exe files in the EXECS folder and they should be made by compiling the source code)

Sorry, if my question seems silly.

regards,

Comments

• PLEASE READ THE USERS GUIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Hi Alex
    I have read the user guide, but I did not find the answer exactly. Would you mind please answer my question?

Thanks a lot!
  • Amir,

There's a whole section in the DualSPHysics_v3.0_Guide.pdf document entitled "How to modify DualSPHysics for your application".

Please refer to this for further details, it defines the source code structure and where functionality is located in the c++ or CUDA code, this is why Alex has asked you to read the guide in this instance.

Regards,

Stephen
  • What is the reason of putting the .exe files in the EXECS folder by the developers?
    If the code is open-source, there is no need to that. The .exe files can be created by compiling the sources.
  • They are simply pre-compiled versions of the supplied source code to make running the test cases easier for people who do not wish to compile their own versions. It takes a good 30 seconds to a minute to compile on some machines, especially if compiling with CUDA support and not everybody is familiar with how to build C++/CUDA binaries, so pre-compiled versions are supplied to ease this. There are also a few beta versions of the main solver supplied as pre-compiled binaries for testing purposes, but their source is not always released, this is just to allow people to test out new functionality before it is deemed completely stable and correct by the relevant developer.

If you are referring to the non open-source elements of the DualSPHysics software suite (i..e the pre and post processing tools such as GenCase and MeasureTool) these are provided as pre-compiled binaries only. This is explained in the manual as well as details being provided on where they directly interact with the core solver (that is open source) and how you can replace their functionality with code of your own.

Regards,

Stephen