dSPH to blender pipeline

edited May 2015 in Old versions
I've seen more than a few recent videos of dSPH simulations that have been rendered in Blender. ( https://plus.google.com/105381077614511895189/videos ). Some of them are clearly meshed geometery, but some also have particles with color or alpha channels linked to vorticity/velocity. I've read some (quite old) posts about using Paraview as an intermediary and then exporting to blender but haven't yet succeeded.

Can someone give an overview of the process for getting particles as point clouds from a dSPH simulation to blender?

I imagine it's more straight forward using the Isosurface executable to generate a mesh after a simulation but I'm still struggling to provide it correct parameters (Win 7 x64). I should be able to point this to some PartFluid000.bi2 files and get meshed geometry back, correct?

Can someone please advise?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi,

I found this:

Ps: I read your message but I'm not an expert concerning this part x)
  • The new visualisation software we are developing imports VTK files generated by the post-processing of DualSPHysics into Blender. In additon movement of objects can be also loaded in Blender from external files.

On the other hand, particles to represent foam of splash are computed in terms of vorticity, vecinity, velocity... and other physical parameters that can give you an idea of where air-water mixing is taking place without the need of using a multiphase SPH. However the aim of these simulations are only focused on obtaining realistic visualizations.

This work is being prepared to be published in a journal paper and then we will release the software as open-source

Regards
  • Thanks for the information, Alex.
    When do you expect publication / release of the software?
  • About the publication.... you can never know!
    Once the work it is published then it will be released

Regards
  • I am working on a workflow for this. So far the best solution I've come up with is to import the vtk files into Paraview, then export them out with a python script to .stl files.
    I then batch convert them with Accutrans http://www.micromouse.ca/ to .obj files.
    Still working on an importer for .obj sequences.