Questions about water entry problem (drop tests)

edited May 2012 in Old versions
Hi,
I am working on water entry problem and floating. I have found a few problems modelling with Dual-SPHysics and I really appreciate if anyone could help me. The questions I have are:

1- for a 3d wedge water entry problem, does anyone know how much gap is good enough to avoid friction between the wedge and the tank walls? The model is a 3d surface mesh imported from Rhino.

2- for a 3d boat model dropping to the water ( a model boat drops from 100mm above the water surface), if the center of gravity of the model does not sit on the system origin, the boat flies backwards, looks like the inertia are measured from origin. If I put the origin on the bottom of the tank under C.g of the model, then the model does not perform that strange behavior; the vertical C.G. is in the middle of the boat. However, I am not still sure that is that the right way to do it.

3- for the same model, the boat drops and there is deformation in free surface; however, the model keeps a significant distance from the surface, even when it is calm down. I could not have found the reason yet.
Could any one help me please.

Cheers,
Jalal

Comments

• Hi Jalal,

have you solved these problems? I'm quite new to DualSPHysics and I'm interested in solving impact 2D section problems. I've tried once to simulate a "falling" ship and I've found the same distance between the body and the fluid.

I managed to perform the simulation with a 2D floating section but I have problems when I ask to the new measurement tool to save pressures on the floating section into a .csv file (in order to manipulate them). Have you ever tried to read variables from one of those files? Is there a preferable way to do it? (excel seems not to be able to correctly split the cells in the file and this cause the file itself to be useless).

Thanks
    Giuliano
  • "excel seems not to be able to correctly split the cells in the file and this cause the file itself to be useless"

what you meant with that???

the codes are written to be able to read the info of variables separated with a comma, what excel can or can not do is indifferent...