About the precision used in DualSPHysics

edited September 2014 in Old versions
Thanks for the fantastic software.

As I know the code is generally based on single precision. This causes some problems, like the distortion in moving boundary I discussed with SLongshaw before. (http://dual.sphysics.org/vanilla/discussion/328/inconsistent-in-moving-boundary#Item_6)

Beside this problem, I found that the error accumulated in single precision also causes distortion in material phase in my simulations (I am working on simulation of soils and granular flow, in which cases the movements of material are generally smaller than that in fluids. So a small distortion can entirely pollute the simulation.).

My question is, is it possible to rewrite the code in a double precision manner? How much work is expected? If you could give me some suggestions on this problem, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
PC

Comments

• The incoming version will include double precision implementation.

So far, some information can be found in:
    J.M. Domínguez, A.J.C. Crespo, A. Barreiro, M. Gómez-Gesteira, B.D. Rogers, Efficient Implementation of Double Precision in GPU Computing to Simulate Realistic Cases with High Resolution, in: Proceedings of the 9th SPHERIC, 2014.
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks Alex!

Could you please tell me where I can read this paper?
    Also, is there any clue when will the incoming version be released?
  • Where can I find this paper ? I could not find full text in google scholar. thanks.
  • Send an email to dualsphysics@gmail.com and will see what we can do