is CUDA 6.5 compatible is DualSPHysics 3.1?

edited September 2014 in Old versions
Greatings,

I'm implementing DUALSPHysics on my machine but i'm a little puzzled about the appropriate versions of CUDA software

Do you know if is CUDA 6.5 compatible is DualSPHysics 3.1?

Thank you very much for you attention,

Diogo

Comments

• Hello Diogo,

DualSPHysics will certainly compile and run using CUDA 6.5, however the code currently contains logic to optimise for SM 3.0 or below in terms of parallel blocksize etc.

Testing has shown that best performance is still achieved using CUDA 4.0 (and probably 4.1), thus is due to a swap by NVIDIA to a different internal compiler within CUDA that allocates registers differently. Many codes have found this behavior to be true, not just DualSPHysics and NV are aware of it, each new CUDA release tends to improve things to the point performance is slowly converging back to where it was with the old compiler.

Saying that, performance differences may not be that notable for you and the improved usability of the tools etc. Included with newer versions (and the ability to compile for newer SM versions) may outweigh the slight performance degradation.

Hope that's of some help (apologies for any spelling errors, I put this together on my phone).

Kind regards.
  • Thank you for your quick answer

It was very enlightening.

Best regards!

Diogo