post processing

edited May 2013 in Old versions
I am working on a sloshing problem and am interested in finding the maximum forces induced on the boundaries of my container. From what I understand from the documentation I need to specify the location that im interested in to get data from as well as the step for interpolation in the reference text document. Ive tried to apply this to my test case but the data output I get is incomprehensible to me with most values at 0 when looking at Velocity or pressure output. Its pretty clear that I'm not setting things up correctly. I was wondering if there was further explanation as to what the 9 data inputs represent in the reference text document and also what the output excel points represent. I'm not sure if this is a clear enough explanation of my problem but any help would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Hi kfield,

The point masking that you are referring to can be useful if you need to pick out specific points, the Excel output (actually a standard CSV or Comma Separated Value file) simply represents the chosen points and value in time.

Another method you can employ to achieve the same that may be easier for you is to use a powerful visualization package that can read VTK, such as ParaView, and when you apply the post-processing tools (i.e. partVTK or boundaryVTK) make sure that the values you want to be processed into the output (i.e. the velocity, density etc.) are there. Then you can use ParaView to select specific particles in an interactive way, as well as use it to explore the underlying values etc. and export subsets of data for use in other applications like Matlab. There's a bit of a learning curve involved, but I have found it to be a productive environment.
  • Thanks again SLongshaw, I've been making some progress with the CSV output but I'm gonna spend sometime looking at what Paraview offers.
  • I've managed to have some success with the measuring tool when it comes to velocities and densities of the particles. I also need the acceleration data as an output but when I change the command to do this (+ace) and run the measuring tool I receive and error "Viscosity treatment is not valid". I attempted to change my VisoTreatment number a bit to see if it would work but had no luck.

I also wanted to have a clear understanding of the point masking (measuring tool) results. If I choose to a certain area of particles to calculate values from are the results of the output excel the properties of the particles that I selected initially or of the particles that are in the selected area. I hope that wording makes sense to you.

I've been working with paraview and it has helped me to see where certain points of interests are just be looking at the color gradients for velocity but haven't had much luck with other graphs such as graphing velocity. I was wondering if you had any recommendations as far as good filters to use.

As an FYI:
    My simulation involves a 0.1m^3 box oscillation at 100hz at 5g conditions and filled 90% with fluid.