How we can define a liquid and a gas in version 3

edited March 2014 in Old versions
Dear All

How it is possible to define a volume of gas inside a liquid body in version 3 of DualSPHysics?

regards
safiyari

Comments

• Hi safiyari,

I believe the current version of DualSPHysics is only capable of simulating single phase flows.

Regards,

John
  • Dear JohnG

thank you for your notification. as per your experiences, is it possible to define to liquid with different densities in a model?

regards
    safiyari
  • Dear safiyari,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back with you. In short, the answer to your question is no.

I haven't come across an easy way to assign different densities in the model. At the moment DualSPHysics is set up to handle only one reference density. It might be possible to accommodate a second reference density if you were willing to modify the source code, but since I haven't tried it myself I don't know how labor intensive this would be.

Also, you should be aware that the SPH formulation used in DualSPHysics will likely become unstable for density ratios, rho_high / rho_low, greater than about 10 (see Colagrossi and Landrini, 2003).

If you decide to take a stab at modifying the source code, let me know how it goes.

All the best,

John
  • DualSPHysics v3.0 is only a one-phase model.
    In order to simulate multi-phase, you will have to implement it and modify the source code. Different PhD students in The University of Manchester are working on this direction, implementing air-water, soil-water,.... Thus, this is a work under research...
  • Dear JohnG

Thank you very much, It was really clear and good for me. I'll try it by myself and ask you again.

regards
    Safiyari
  • Dear Alex

Thank you for your great notification. As I'm a PhD student and my major is closely related to water and gas interaction, so I'm working to incorporate this ability to SPHysics (actually beside our research team in Iranian National Institute for Oceanography and Atmospheric Science). It is my pleasure if I can access to the experiences in this field by other people in other research centers.
    If I want to gain some pieces of knowledge, could you please guide me?

best regards
    Omid R. Safiyari
  • The expert on multiphase implementation in DualSPHysics is Dr Benedict Rogers from University of Manchester.

Regards