About flexible structure

edited January 2014 in Old versions
Hi everybody. I want to know whether the DualSPHysics code can deal with the flexible strucre.
IF possible, how to do it. Thanks!

Comments

• As far as I know, the code doesn't realize the fexible structure.
  • Hello,

Could you elaborate slightly on what you are trying to achieve. I assume you mean an elastic structure, if so what specifically? I.e Is it fixed, what materials is it made from etc.
  • Thanks Slongshaw and sukun, I want to simulate the bending and the deformation of an elastic bar/link fixed at one end under the condition of regular wave. How to define the properties of the bar/link?
  • OK,

What you want to do is actually quite difficult, it cannot currently be done with DualSPHysics unfortunately.

Effectively you are looking to achieve fluid to elastic structure interaction, while DualSPHysics can only currently achieve fluid to rigid structure interaction.

If you have a search around the web for SPH to elastic structure interaction you will find a few papers around the subject (including a few that look at the case you describe), however the prescribed solution to the problem is as yet, unclear.

I myself have spent the past 15 months or so looking at this exact problem and have a solution which is 98% there. I hope to include this in future versions of DualSPHysics but it was not possible in the current release. There is an (outdated) SPHERIC paper that was published last year titled "Integration Of Spring Physics With The SPH Method For Quasi-Solid To Fluid Interaction Using GPGPU Programming" which outlines the method, but things have moved on significantly since then, I hope to have a journal paper on the subject in the new few months.

Sorry I can't be of more immediate help but hopefully that should at least get you started.

Regards,

Stephen
  • Can I incorporate (Is it possible) incorporate in DualSPHysics Fluid-Elastic-Structure Interaction?
    Can I include in DualSPHysics SPH model elastic solid material?
    Is DualSPHysics code total open for this modification?
  • Hi Sergey,

It's certainly possible to incorporate FESI in to DualSPHysics, the only parts of the code which are closed are those that use the pre-included libraries, and those are only really used for reading data in and storing it out.

As long as you have a method and now how to use it (and it fits with the weakly-compressible SPH paradigm) then you can implement whatever you like in to DualSPHysics!

The hard part is defining the elastic method, as I mentioned in the previous postsyou will first need to find/define a suitable method for handling elasticity in a particle manner.

Alternatively you could look to couple SPH with say an FEM elastic model, however that is a completely different area of complexity.