Exception(exc): tabulate: failed to synchronize: cudaErrorIllegalAddress: an illegal memory access w

I am running a simulation to model the interaction between waves and an elastic cylinder. The simulation is successful as long as the cylinder remains submerged. However, when I increase the height of the cylinder such that it exceeds the depth of the water, I encounter an error during the simulation. I would appreciate any guidance you can provide on this matter. Thank you.

Exception(exc): tabulate: failed to synchronize: cudaErrorIllegalAddress: an illegal memory access was encountered

Comments

• Hello,

@mtmtmt did you find an explication ? I encountered the same problem doing some minor modifications of a working simulation with flex structure.

Best regards

• Hi @mtmtmt and @TPouzol

Thanks both for your messages. Would either of you be able to share an XML input file that reproduces the issue so I can take a look at it please?

Kind Regards

Joe

• Hi @joconnor

Thanks. Here is the xml and stl files I used.

Kind regards

Tanguy

• Hi @TPouzol

Thanks for sending that through. I had a look at the XML and the reason you are getting this error is because it is blowing up, due to the fact the Poisson ratio for the mkbound=12 structure is set to 0.5. The Saint Venant–Kirchhoff and Plane Strain models are not valid for a Poisson ratio of 0.5 because it leads to a division by zero (hence why it is blowing up).

I've modified the Poisson ratio to 0.49 for the mkbound=12 structure and it seems to be running without any issue on my system. If you can let me know if it's working on your end too that would be great. Thanks very much.

Kind Regards

Joe

• Hi @joconnor

Thanks ! It works now.

Kind regards

Tanguy

• No problem! Happy to help!

• Amazing job @joconnor.

Thanks for helping in the forum