FlowTool with CAD models

Hi,

I'm simulating water splashing on a solid body. The body has a complex shape. I'd like to calculate what fraction of the body is wet (covered by water particles) and what fraction is dry (not covered by particles) at a given point in time. In principle, it looks like FlowTool should be able to do the job. The problem is that FlowTool only works with prism-shaped domains.

I have a CAD model of the shape, and I could easily generate a thin surface layer on the shape. If FlowTool could accept that domain instead of the prism, my problem is solved. Is there a way to achieve what I want? If not, could FlowTool easily be extended to work with domains defined by CAD models (e.g. stl, ply, vtk) rather than just prisms?

//

Anders

Comments

• You have to define 8 points of the domain... so that you will have to define the 8 points starting from your STL dimenions.

It is extra work, but it will work

• Anders, this is a bad way to do it. Please instead try as follows:

Export the volume for particles on your body. Then in Paraview you will notice that particles in contact with water will have a different volume, compared to those which are not in contact.

It is more difficult to implement this, but if you do, you will see this way is superior.

Kind regards