Mass assignment in 2D simulations

I would like to ask about the 3D model I created when I was modeling, but I wanted to do a 2D simulation, and suddenly I had a question. I have set as following:

Question:

If I do this, is this mass assigned to a 2D disk or a 3D cylinder?

Because I found that when I was modeling a cylinder, when the y-direction length was different, the reaction of the cylinder was different (the mass value did not change, only the y value during modeling was changed).

The y range of the box is -0.05 to 0.05

Option One:

The cylinder is basically stationary

Option two:

The cylinder begins to move rapidly.

I don't know if it's a side wall effect or a quality issue. is this mass assigned to a 2D disk or a 3D cylinder?

Comments

• edited March 2022

@Alex @Asalih3d

Excuse me, can you give me some help or explanation for this problem?

• @Alex @Asalih3d

Can you give me some help or explanation for this problem?

Thanks very much!

Best regards!

• Mass is assigned to the object to compute weight force.

So you have to assign the actual value.

Note that 2D mass is not equal to 3D mass....

Mass(2D)=Mass(3D) / widthY

• edited March 2022

@Alex OK, I think I have understand. Do as I did in the picture above, this mass is assigned to a 2D disk. But what I want to ask here is another question, Why do models built from 3D affect the simulation when I'm doing a 2D simulation?

In the 3D modeling, the length of the aluminum rod is different, and the results of the simulation are different: in the first case, the y-coordinate of the aluminum rod is from -0.049m to 0.049m, and the simulation result is that the aluminum rod will not collapse. In the second case, the y-coordinate of the aluminum rod is from -0.01m to 0.01m, and the simulation result is that the aluminum rod will collapse