The case: ..\examples\chrono\03_FlexibleGate

I am a new DualSPhysics user. First of all thank you for this great open source tool.

I am trying to run the flexible gate case in the examples\chrono folder. The case worked fine, but it promped the error below. Also, I would like to know how the rotational stiffness connecting the chrono objects is calculated. It seems that changing the properties of the material has no effect on the results.

Thank you

Comments

• Hi

Try redownloading DualSPHysics in my case the case runs without any error.

From the doc\guides\XML_GUIDE_CHRONO.pdf you see that collision must be enabed to make use of material properties:

In this example collision is disabled.

Secondly, rotational stiffness of each link can be set by changing "stiffness" parameter, which they also do in the Case_XML.

Kind regards

• Thank you for your comment Asalih3d.

I downloaded the DualSPhysics about one week ago. My question is how to evaluate the rotation stiffness value so to get closer to the beam flexure behavior. The deflection of the gate in the example appears the same as that of a beam with fixed-free edges condition. Is there any way to link the two, and is there any postprocessing tool for the solid stresses with chrono objects. 

As I understand, coupling DuanSPHysics with Choro is not entended to FSI modeling with full structure analysis. 

Best regards

• Currently in DualSPHysics flexible behaviour is not possible. That is why the example you are running consists of individual "beam elements" linked to each other through a hinge constraint. You can then have a look at ChronoLink_forces.csv, in the output directory, to get an understanding of the reaction forces in each hinge, which can help you estimate what you are talking about.

No, I am not aware of a way of outputting stress values from Chrono. You can export individual force values using computeforces post-processing to get an estimate.

DualSPHysics can do FSI, but not flexible behaviour yet.

Kind regards

• Thanks very much. 

After several tests, I found that the bending behavior of a beam can be approached by linking a number of hinged rigid elements with appropriate rotation stiffness. This worked well for the case of a contilver beam, other cases are under consideration. 

• Useful information can be found here:

Capasso S, Tagliafierro B, Martínez-Estévez I, Domínguez JM, Crespo AJC, Viccione G. 2022. A DEM approach for simulating flexible beam elements with the Project Chrono core module in DualSPHysics. Computational Particle Mechanics. doi:10.1007/s40571-021-00451-9.

• Hi

Thanks Alex.

I used the same technique as in the reference. It works well only for the case of a beam with a free end. The rigidity of the chrono elements makes it not appropriate for two fixed ends.