Track a position of specific Idp using MeasureTool

Dear all

By using MeasureTool, may I know how to write the "exact" position of a particle with specific Idp?

I wish to get the "exact" position with respect to time. However, I aware that MeasureTool would "interpolate" the variables of particles surrounding a specific point/particle (therefore it is smoothed, no longer exact)?

Looking for your advice.

KC

Comments

• Perhaps you can go into Paraview, make a filter which tracks only one id and do it like that?

You are right that measure tool would do a smoothing, but I guess that if you only select one particle, the value would just be the value of the particle it self. Have you tried to test that and then verify visually if it matches what you expect? Perhaps set the smoothing length to something very small too.

Kind regards

• edited December 2021

Hi all:

I have tried -onlyid in measuretool command as follows:

I intend to record the velocity and position (with respect to time) of idp=2289 using the following command. Please take note that I enforce the post-processor to use onlyid:2289 during the interpolation.

%measuretool% -dirin %diroutdata% -filexml Buoy.xml -particlesid:2289 -onlyid:2289 -vars:-all,+posd,+vel,+idp -savecsv %dirout2%/Point2289Data

I am able to get the time history of position of particle id 2289.

But, the time history of velocity is 0.0 throughout the entire duration, which is unexpected.

I have tried to include -onlytype:-all,+floating so that interpolation takes place on neighboring "floating" particles only.

%measuretool% -dirin %diroutdata% -filexml Buoy.xml -particlesid:2289 -onlytype:-all,+floating -vars:-all,+posd,+vel,+idp -savecsv %dirout2%/Point2289Data

And now the vel is non-zero. I believe the vel is smoothed velocity from neighbouring particles which is not exactly something I want.

What I wish to have is the exact velocity at particle Idp 2289.

Can anyone pls advise?

Thanks.

• If you want the information of a given particle, you should use PartVTK with "-onlyid"

Regards