Select GPU device to run simulation on

I have 2 GPUs in my system. It is my understanding that DualSPHysics currently only uses 1 GPU (correct me if I'm wrong). That being said, can I run 2 simulations at the same time? One simulation on one card and another simulation on the other card? If so, do I need to specify which device to utilize at runtime? If so, how? Thanks.

Comments

• When you run one, you can check the Run.out and the information of devices should appear...

with names Device 0 and Device 1 so when running:

you can use "-gpu[:id]" so that -gpu:0 for one simulation and -gpu:1 for the other

BUT, check first that both devices appear in Run.out

and sometimes sharing CPU, etc... it is not faster running those case in two gpus than one after the other... please check it

Regards

• Alex-

Thanks. This works as expected. I haven't fully tested competition for resources, as you warn, but the fact that I can run two simulations on two separate cards does answer my question.

• If you do a benchmark of this, I would be really interested personally as well! As far as I understand the CPU is only used for initializing the simulation and saving data + post-processing, so if one has limited post-processing it should be quite efficient to run a simulation on multiple GPU's. This is assuming that one does not couple with Chrono, Moordyn etc.

Kind regards