Installation on Mac OS X

edited September 2013 in Old versions
Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to install/compile DUALSPHysics on Mac OS 10.6?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Ashkan,

Theoretically, there is nothing about DualSPHysics (the linux version at least) which should preclude it from running under OS X. Effectively it is a pure C/C++ CUDA application.

The most likely path to getting this working would be to grab the Linux source code, making sure you have CUDA installed and an appropriate C/C++ compiler working, then see if you can build it.

The interface will work in that it is Java based, but you will need to grab the appropriate binaries and update the folder that contains them if the Linux versions don't suffice.

I can't speak for everybody involved in the project but I personally have no access to Mac hardware so have never tried it myself. Please do though and let me know, I'd be interested to hear!
  • Hi Both,

As far as I could figure out, at least for the current available version (v2.01), the Linux source files have 3 pre-compiled libraries required for compilation, which will not work on Mac OS X. It is possible to compile the CPU version running Linux in a virtual machine using something like Fusion or Parallel Desktop etc. but I haven't gotten them to work with the Nvida cards properly nor install CUDA (it might be possible though?).

My main development machine is a mac, while my workstation is running linux, so I've just been sshing to the workstation and developing that way, but it would be really great if the pre-compiled libraries could be released for Mac OS X, I'm sure it would benefit quite a few of us.

Cheers!
  • We are not going to work on releasing makefiles and libraries for Mac OS.

I am sorry.

Alex