Is it possible to simulate a moving body inside a floating body using Chrono?

Hi,

My aim is to try and simulate the motion of a body inside another body which is floating. I have a floating structure inside which there is a moving rectangle. So, when the floating body moves due to action of waves, the body inside moves.

So, after reading XML guide and looking through the examples. I first tried to simulate a collision case - two bodies with two different materials and as a result, the body jumped off and exited the domain in the Y direction - which immediately stopped the simulation.

After looking some more, I thought that locking the degrees of freedom except Surge (translationDOF x=1 y=0 z = 0) of the mass might do the trick but this time, the moving body does not move at all.

So, I have not tried motion along a vector because the floating body will be moving so there is no constant vector that I can input. Is that something I can try or is this kind of simulation just not possible?

Comments

• YOu should treat all objects as floating objects.

And for the objects you want to impose a motion you can use external linear or angular velocities as done in XML files of: \examples\chrono\12_ExternalVelocity

Regards

• Hi Alex,

I first wanted to understand in 2D how this phenomenon works, so I tried simulating a solid block inside a hollow block acting under gravity

I noticed something interesting - initially the solid block exits the hollow block

However, now that it is outside the hollow block, both of these act as solid bodies and collide without the solid entering the hollow body.

What I am unable to do is to reverse this - the solid body must collide with the inner box and not come out. I have attached my XML file and a video of the same phenomenon. Any advice is appreciated.

• interesting hehehhee

please try now using:

<parameter key="DtAllParticles" value="1" comment="Velocity of particles used to calculate DT. 1:All, 0:Only fluid/floating (default=0)" />