Error when simulating with GPU

Hello everyone,

for my master thesis I am currently trying to simulate the floating/sinking behaviour of particles. Unfortunately I can only use the CPU for the simulation. When using the GPU the following message appears:

DualSPHysics4 [Symmetry] v4.4.053 (19-01-2020)

===============================================

LoadDsphConfig> .../dualsphysics/bin/DsphConfig.xml

[Select CUDA Device]

*** Exception (../source/FunctionsCuda.cpp::GetCudaDevicesInfo:145)

Text: Failed getting devices info. (CUDA error 35 (CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version))

Finished execution (code=1).

I am using a Radeon R9 200 Series GPU with the latest driver version.

Is a Radeon not compatible with CUDA?

I would be happy if someone could help me. Thanks!

Best Regards

Lukas

Comments

• Hello!

Radeon is developed by AMD, and therefore cannot be used with CUDA, which you can read a bit more about here.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12828268/is-it-possible-to-run-cuda-on-amd-gpus

Unfortunately it seems like you have to stick to CPU or maybe you could look into the possibility of using a GPU server, from for example Amazon / Google etc. and then run it there. That will end up costing some money of course.

This would probably still be cheaper than buying a GPU though, depending on your type of simulations.

Kind regards

• Thanks a lot, i will have a look at these GPU servers.

• No problem!

I used Googles before, was a bit of a hassle since I had to manually copy some .dll from a pc to get it to work properly with DualSPHysics and also having to install the correct Nvidia driver.

If I was to do it again, I would try contacting a smaller provider, maybe something like https://lambdalabs.com/service/gpu-cloud (which I am not affiliated with, I've just seen some of their commercials on YouTube) and maybe explain your situation to them and they can help you setting up etc.

Kind regards