Question about MPI implementation

edited September 2013 in Old versions
Is there any way to run DualSPHysics on multiple nodes?

Comments

• One way to run DualSPHysics (or any other application) on multiple nodes is use MPI and CUDA Toolkit.
    It's need special algorithm programming.
  • Is MPI implemented with DualSPHysics? Can I just mpirun DualSPHysics like I can with parallelSPHysics?
  • Hello dtan
    I am new to dualSPHysics, but for what I have seen the CPU parallelization is done with OpenMP. So unless you have some shared memory machine I dont think is possible, but maybe I can be corrected
  • MPI implementation with v 2.0 is not specify in documentation and not realize.
    It will be in v3.0 see News
  • Hi, sorry for the delay in replying.

As Sergey has rightly said, the current version of DualSPHysics is OpenMP and CUDA based, this is not likely to change with future releases as DualSPHysics is aimed at GPU and non-distributed parallelism. If you want an MPI version of the SPHysics code to run on CPUs then you will need to stick with parallelSPHysics.

In future versions of DualSPHysics, MPI will likely be used to perform distributed computing over multiple GPUs in different clusters, however the release date for this is not yet fixed and will likely be after the forthcoming 3.0 release.
  • edited December 2013
    I'm wanting to work on getting DualSPHysics to work with MPI and CUDA for a local implementation. I have access to an HPC with 4 Tesla GPUs, so I have the equipment to play with. What are some of the challenges of doing this? What are some key files that I will have to focus on? I'll be digging through the Doxygen docs. Just looking for a little direction as I dig.
  • DualSPHysics v3.0 will be release these days. We have developed a multiGPU version using MPI communications among the CPUs that host the GPU cards. However the source files of this version will not be release now.

Regards

Alex
  • @dtan,

Have you considered a technology like vSMP Foundation which allows you to run OpenMP codes unmodified across multiple physical nodes?
    (disclosure: I work for the company who makes it, ScaleMP)