Question regarding "proof reading"

Greetings everybody,

I have a weird question and do not know if it is proper. I'm doing my Master thesis (Chemical Engineering) in modelling confined pipe flow, using DualSPHysics. Since I'm mostly focussed on applying SPH (DualSPHysics) my understanding of the theory is somewhat weak. My department has close to nobody who knows SPH well, which leads me to my question. Would somebody be willing to quickly check my theory chapter and whether I made substantial mistakes?

If this is not allowed here, I will remove this discussion (if possible).

Additionally, would there be any interest in my finished thesis? It might provide an insight in how (a non-versed) individual progresses using SPH (DualSPHysics). If once again not allowed, I will remove this question.

Kind regards,
Bladomas

Comments

• Hello Bladomas1

If you are able to upload as pdf, it could be fun to check it through. My understanding might not be the best either, but I should hopefully be able to spot if something is blatantly wrong. Also I have used a lot of DualSPHysics so if your theory consists mostly of DualSPHysics SPH it should be easier for me to correct.

Kind regards
  • Hello Asalih3d,

Thank you for your offer, hopefully it is still valid. I have attached the short chapter about theory. I have tried to keep it brief, since the target audience is expected to have none-little understanding of SPH. Any feedback is welcome, from anyone.

Kind regards
  • Hey again, @bladomas1, I read through it and have some comments:
    1. It seems to be pretty short, is this what you are going to write about SPH or is there some more? It conveys the very base understanding of SPH though, so if that is the goal, then this should be fine.
    2. Regarding the SPS, I think the version used by DualSPHysics is the one derived by Dalrymple et. al. 2004-2005 and not the one from and Lo and Shao 2002 - I recall they should be quite similar though. In theory DualSPHysics does not use anyone of them directly, since they have outphased Shepherd filtering (density filtering)
    3. Do you have a source regarding gamma = 7, in which it was defined empirically? I always thought it was some kind of incompressibility constant for water, ie. gamma was fluid dependent, but I might be wrong.
    4. In your figure 4, I see you are using Latex, use this png instead of the one you use now: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/SPHInterpolationColorsVerbose.svg/2000px-SPHInterpolationColorsVerbose.svg.png for a better quality
    5. In your math, consider denoting specifically what is a vector and what is a scalar etc. Just to show an increased understanding
    Hope you benefit.

Kind regards
  • Thank you for your comments. I indeed did make it in the end quite short, my target audience does not have a very good understanding of SPH, so I wanted to make it as brief and clear as possible.

I will try to work through your suggestions, and once again much appreciated for taking the time to help me out.