Surface elevation settings

edited August 2017 in DualSPHysics_v4.0
Hi!

I want to measure the surface elevation of the water and I have been looking though the documentation and cases, but I still unsure on how to do so. In 6_CASEWAVEMAKER the points are defined in external txt-files (eg. CaseWavemaker2D_wg3_2D.txt), where it says:

"POINTSLIST
4.12 0.20 0.20
0.001 0.001 0.001
1 1 400

#"POINTSLIST"
#BeginX BeginY BeginZ
#StepX StepY StepZ
#CountX CountY CountZ"

The first line places the "elevation probe" under the fluid (Is that the correct way to do it?), but I do not know what the next two lines does. What is StepX/Y/Z and CountX/Y/Z for?

Furthermore, if I am working on a case with moving boundaries how do accomplish measuring the surface elevation at the boundary (that is moving)?

Comments

• I am just gonna bump this thread since I still don't know the answer.
  • Since no one is answering your thread, let me explain it with my limited understanding. Admins or other users can correct me if I am wrong. I played with these numbers and what I understand is:

1. The first line is the location of the probe, X,Y Z ordinates respectively. It has to be within the fluid domain.
    2. The next two line creates an array of probes in every StepX/Y/Z and the number of probes determines by CountX/Y/Z. For example, if you have the values as follows

5 2 0.3
    0.1 0.1 0.001
    250 1 400

It will create 250 wave probes in X direction in every 0.1 interval. Usually, we don't use it. Similarly, 400 in Z direction which you can interpret as the height of the probe located at (5 2 0.3). I find StepZ and CountZ are important parameters for accurate measuring of the wave height and it depends on the size of your domain. I do not know if there any standards out there to determine these numbers.

Your next question about wave probes on a moving boundaries is tricky. I never tried this. You can check the case 5_CASESLOSHING page 100 in the user guide where a sensor was attached to a moving object. You have to update the position of the wave probe at each time.
  • Hi Sam. Thank you for your response, it makes sense. I will see if I can figure out a clever way to update the position of the probe.
  • Dear users

There is also the option to read positions that change in time from a file where you will compute your variables of interest. Please see the example of the moving sloshing tank where positions to compute pressure are loaded from a CSV file.

Regards