Is it possible to model flowing water?

I am a civil engineering student at the University Costa Rica and I am currently working on my graduation project which consists on comparing the SPH model to more conventional models used in engineering. In order to do this, I need to be able to input some flow data. One of the things I want to model is a hydraulic jump and thus flow conditions must be given.
I have not been able to find out a way to input flow data or particles inlet and I do not know if it is possible in the current version of DualSPHysics. Can flow be modeled with an external force model or can this not be done at all.

Comments

• The current version of DualSPHysics (4.0) does not include open boundaries (inlet/outlet conditions). However next release will include this (end of 2017).

Meanwhile you can use the available functionalities of applying external force to fluid and using periodic boundaries.

Regards
  • Hi
    thanks for your quick response. Is there any way to have a look at some sort of case for the external forces file or some of the cases that have periodic boundaries. I can't seem to find anything as the case I need in the examples in the Run_directory.
    I am trying to achieve something like this

where there's a constant flow of water. So at this point I guess the question is how can I use external forces and periodic boundaries to achieve this? Would immensely appreciate any help here! Also looking forward to the new version!
  • In Run_directoy you have several examples using the functionalities of the video you showed...

- CaseForces: example of applying external acceleration to fluid
    - CasePeriodicity: example of periodic boundaries
    - CaseBowling: example of DEM objects with periodic boundaries
  • Thank you! I had not seen case periodicity! I was just really focused on the XML file that I did not go over that one! It's exactly what I need. Really Appreciate your help!